listening to the rain, alternating between a book about english renaissance poetry and politics and rereading GoF (whilst remembering all the things in it I memorised/obsessively looked over as a child)
living the dream
need to do more book cataloguing
as I am moving out this week
but not yet
5:25 pm • 25 August 2014 • 4 notes
“L[ord] B[yron] re-peated some verses of Coleridge’s Christabel, of the witch’s breast; when silence ensued, and Shelley, suddenly shrieking and putting his hands to his head, ran out of the room with a candle. Threw water in his face, and after gave him ether. He was looking at Mrs. S[helley], and suddenly thought of a woman he had heard of who had eyes instead of nipples, which, taking hold of his mind, horrified him.”
— The Diary of John William Polidori (via johnpolidori)
oh the summer of 1816
and their wonderful accounts of it
also I love the fact that they genuinely do this scene in Gothic
'CALL ME LORD' BYRON
mary shelley why don't I have a cool tag for you too
4:05 pm • 25 August 2014 • 144 notes
benwyott said: 3, 29, 40
3. What’s your current OTP?
That is a genuinely difficult question, because I’m not currently totally obsessed/writing notably for a certain ship. Probably still Hal/Poins. I can’t escape them.
29. Do you need to ship something to really enjoy a movie/book/tv show/comic?
Not at all. Then again, as an English student, I read an awful lot of books, and I only discovered fandom/shipping etc when I was 18, so these factors have made it more like a bonus than anything else.
Though it can help with TV shows that don’t otherwise have my full interest, or to motivate me to watch episode after episode.
40. If you could change one thing about your OTP, what would that be?
Make there be loads more fic for them. There’s great stuff, but not much (and also if there was more, it would perhaps be less embarrassing how much I’ve written).
thank you for the questions!
10:28 pm • 24 August 2014 • 2 notes
kneesntoews said: 16, 26, 37
16. Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
Hmmm…I suppose I didn’t actively dislike Adam/Fergus initially, but I was indifferent, until Alice went on a mission to drag everyone down with her. And fed me enough headcanons that I could write them too.
26. Have you noticed a pattern in your shipping? Is there a romantic dynamic you’re more drawn to?
There’s a vaguely overarching seems-like-power-imbalance-but-actually-the-apparently-“lower”-person-has-far-greater-power-in-some-way-than-it-might-seem type thing, which to be honest often is most clear if you consider that each could destroy the other with some knowledge/understanding about them.
I’m also a fan of massively close friends with something (or things) that makes them differ from their other friendships. One of those could simply be sex. This may stem from the fact I have no clue how you separate romantic and friendship actions in writing because I have difficulty distinguishing the difference in general. A lot of my ships involve close/best friends really.
37. Do you have a favorite trope and/or AU for your OTP?
Um. Well, for Hal/Poins my favourite trope is modern AU drunkenness in clubs, because I am terrible and should apologise to people who write proper canon stuff etc. For Jamie/Malcolm my favourite trope is ‘shit goes wrong and they must solve it working together’ or something probably. And I usually appreciate a decent ‘UST until somehow they must admit it’ type trope, for most pairings.
also I think I was originally indifferent to will/kit too
but then again now that's not my main kit ship either
10:24 pm • 24 August 2014 • 5 notes
40 Questions - Meme for Shippers
- Talk about the first ship you ever had.
- Talk about three of the most important ships throughout your life.
- What’s your current OTP?
- What’s your current NOTP?
- Do you have any poly ships?
- How do you feel about love triangles?
- How do you feel about RPF?
- Have you ever shipped yourself with a character?
- Do you have many ships that never got together at all?
- Do you ship any characters that have never met?
- Talk about your favorite first kiss.
- Have you ever been disappointed when your ship finally got together?
- Has a ship ever broken your heart?
- How do you feel about will they/won’t they?
- Have you ever “shipped at first sight”?
- Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
- Talk about a pairing you’ve stopped shipping romantically.
- Talk about a moment which made you question an entire ship.
- Have you ever shipped something despite yourself?
- Talk about a ship you feel alone in shipping.
- Is there a ship you just don’t get, but have nothing against?
- Which of your ships have the best chemistry?
- Which of your ships deserve better writing?
- Do you mostly ship canon pairings?
- Have you ever shipped a pairing before you even started watching the show/movie simply because of gifs and graphics or similar?
- Have you noticed a pattern in your shipping? Is there a romantic dynamic you’re more drawn to?
- Is there a ship you’ve shipped for most of your life?
- Does shipping come easily to you?
- Do you need to ship something to really enjoy a movie/book/tv show/comic?
- Name a couple of fandoms in which you have no ships.
- Talk about one of your favorite headcanons for a ship you love.
- Share five must-read fics.
- Name your favorite fanartist(s).
- Share your favorite fanmix for your OTP.
- Recommend 1-5 shipper blogs.
- Do you create fanmixes/gif sets/fanart/fic/fanvids and so on for you ships?
- Do you have a favorite trope and/or AU for your OTP?
- Do you like and use ship names?
- Is there a fictional relationship you’d really want for yourself?
- If you could change one thing about your OTP, what would that be?
9:41 pm • 24 August 2014 • 5,537 notes
Robert Smith of The Cure, Live in Glasgow, 1984 - The Top Era
1:11 pm • 24 August 2014 • 171 notes
could potentially do Weds or Fri, though Weds might be more convenient!
On Weds I’m going to sign the tenancy thing and take a bag of stuff down etc, so I can let you know what times that’ll be closer to the time? And if you’re around, that’s great, but if not, no worries!
6:31 pm • 23 August 2014 • 2 notes